Monday, November 03, 2008

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." (2 Corinth 1:3-4)


I can see how God uses my suffering to bring compassion to others who are hurting. He is softening my heart. He has put so many wonderful people in my life who are stumbling through so much pain right now - I am thankful for His Word and strength. It has drawn me into some deeper friendships and caused me to come to Him in prayer often. I read recently in a book by Charles Swindoll that "our trials are often necessary, proving the genuineness of our faith, teaching us humility...they are distressing, teaching us compassion so that we never make light of another's test or cruelly force them to smile while enduring it." So many of us have that lesson to learn - and this is one of the ways God is shaping me.

This year God's refining fire is strong in my life. Just when I think I can't handle anything more, God shows me He is with me and walking me through this time. Today, I find myself asking, "Is this the right time for this next big step?" The answer seems to be a clear, yet painful, "Yes, now is the time." I pray He will guide us in wisdom and love as we face this day.

"In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ." (I Pet. 1:6-7)

No comments: